Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Piffle

MY LARIUM INDUCED NIGHTMARE

Or lack there of. Between the hours of 2:45 and 6:00 last night/ this morning I was staring at my ceiling. Having gone to bed around midnight, there is no real reason I should have been awake. So I read a bit (Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese. I recommend it), talked to people in Seattle, and watched the sunrise. Then, miraculously, I fell back asleep.

Good story.

So Saturday is inching closer. I should really have started packing yesterday, but there was an earthquake. Clearly I couldn't do anything since the aftershocks would probably knock over my nicely folded clothes and ruin everything. Honestly, didn't even feel it. Unless I am so scarred by the event that I repressed the memory and the haunting glimmer of a traumatic history was what was keeping me up last night.

Now it's a good story.

More information on the trip ahead: I will be MIA for the first week there. The crash course in culture is essentially a trip into the unknown (ooooooo). But SIT says contacting people will be unlikely. So do not fret. I know Gettysburg won't. I just signed the waiver saying that if I do disappear in Kenya it's not their fault. During the second week I'll move in with my homestay family and begin the course work.

I would really love to press fast forward to 6:00 pm on Saturday. Watching everyone post on facebook about  being back at school or that they are in their study abroad country is making me anxious. It probably wouldn't bother me as much if I was packing instead of being on facebook.

In other news, my little brother Michael was on TV last night. If anyone was watching the 9th inning of the Yankees game, he was the one still in the stands applauding after the other fans had given up and left. It ended up being a close game, but the Yankees lost anyway.

80 hours till take off.

1 comment: