Wednesday, August 17, 2011

OMG Another Blog!


I never thought I’d get a blog.

But, here it is. Look at me, embracing technology when I still have issues turning on the TV (there are a lot of buttons. It’s never just as simple as pressing ‘on’). Here I will fill you all in on my study abroad trip to Nairobi, Kenya and the surrounding areas.  This way, on the chance I get to talk to any of you, you all can tell me about your lives rather than me gushing about mine. After all, you all have read my blog.

Let’s talk about the blog’s title. “Shikamoo” is a formal greeting in Kiswahili, the language I will be learning in Kenya. Now, you might be thinking, “Well, that’s a little presumptuous to have a title in Kiswahili. She doesn’t even speak it.”

Let me explain.

Shikamoo translates to something along the lines of “I touch your feet”. It is generally used by a younger person addressing an elder as a sign of respect. In English, we don’t really have a word that expresses admiration upon meeting someone. Sadly, imperialism botched the significance of the word. It became the way a servant addressed his master, making it somewhat of a controversial word. It’s like saying “I am not worthy”. This is okay when addressing someone you respect, but not when you are forced by a foreign invader with quinine and a gun. The amount the word is used is something I will find out once I’m there.

But while I’m there, I have no idea what to expect. At times it will be overwhelming, but it will be amazing. I want to be awed, shocked, and inspired by what I see. I want a heavy dose of reality after two years in a college bubble. To face this opportunity with anything less than respect for Kenya is almost impossible.

Shikamoo is the perfect word to describe my approach to the trip.

10 days to go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment