Friday, May 25, 2012

Sunday, Sunday, Sunday


Time flies. I got home from school about two weeks ago and I am leaving for Kisumu on Sunday. I would say I can’t believe I’m going, but I really can. The last two weeks have been crammed with appointments, check ups, and shopping. I almost got my insurance to cover half my Larium (malaria prevention medication. The one that causes the trippy dreams), but they decided that it wasn't a necessary drug since I was using it for travel. Funny thing- I wouldn't need it if I was staying in the US for the summer.

Shopping isn’t as bad as I thought. Occasionally I still stop and think I might actually need the super-sonic, UV protecting, LED flashlight with rechargeable solar powered batteries and a built in disco ball, but I really don’t. As you’ve all seen from the last trip, I’m not going to the middle of nowhere. They will have stores and batteries, roads and electricity (sometimes). This time I know this, and my goal is to have a much lighter bag. See if I succeed.

As a part of my internship, I am required to keep a second blog. Here’s the link :  http://heston2012.posterous.com. It also includes the accounts of all the other Heston interns. There are two in Nicaragua and 5 in Gettysburg, two of which are manning the Campus Kitchen while the other coordinators and I are gone. I’ll still be posting on this one, probably with the less professional stories. So stay tuned here if you want to hear about baboon encounters and matutu hell-rides. Check out posterous for stories about KMET and development. Personally, I think this blog is prettier. At least for now.  

I’m excited to go. Waiting is the worst part. It gives me time to think of all the things I’ll miss from home. I am missing the annual family trip to New Hampshire for the second year in a row and my 21st birthday. Both of which I’ll obviously survive. It’s what happens when you give up normalcy for a while. This time, however, I’m leaving missing friends and family much more that I did last time. I had a whole summer to accept that I wasn’t going to see people. Having only left school two weeks ago, I keep thinking I should make plans with people, and then remember that I can’t/ shouldn’t/ really should be packing instead. So, to all my readers, keep in touch. I get email and facebook, what more do you need in life? Miss you all already.

T-minus 42 hours. Kuwenda!!

No comments:

Post a Comment