Friday, December 2, 2011

ISP is a small prison ~ Mama Mary


MY ISP IS FINISHED! Except for the final presentations, but really, it’s not like “real” work. We are doing are final presentations at a beach resort on the coast of Kenya. See, not real. But after 40 pages of writing in a week with the power going out every other paragraph, I’m ready for it.

Two days ago we moved out of our apartment. I could have been sad, but it wasn’t. We hadn’t had running water since the day before Thanksgiving. Yet we managed to cook Thanksgiving dinner and do the dished with a few gallons of water. The maintenance guys were nice enough to give us about a jug of water a day, but that still meant no real showers (back to bucket showers) and no easy dish washing. Also, the massive amount of rain we have been having (funny how when we lose water, it rains the most it has since we got to Kenya) caused black outs multiple times a day. Most night were spent sitting in darkness around my roommate’s head lamp panicking about our ISPs.   

After moving out, I had one night of unorganized housing. I spent the night at the Wildebeest Camp, a small hostel not far from our apartment. Honestly, I don’t know why people don’t like hostels. I mean, if you have personal space issues I understand, but I meet such interesting people. On girl from Australia was traveling the world. She worked in hospitality, so basically anywhere she went she could find a job. The guy in the bunk below her was from New Zealand and had just moved to Kenya after working in a gold mine. Another guy was born and raised in India, went to Stanford, and now works for Google. And that’s just some of the people there. Everyone had a story.

The next day I went to the Nairobi National Park with two other girls from my program. It was 100% touristy, but it was fun. We did a safari walk, which was basically just a zoo of African animals, and visited the animal orphanage. By the way, baby cheetahs are the cutest thing since Care Bears. If I can steal some photos from one of the girls I’ll post them, but for now you’ll just have to settle for this block of text.

I cannot believe it is December. Where did the last three months go? As much as I miss home, I don’t want to leave. I mean, sure, there are things I won’t miss, like boiling my drinking water and never having mud-free legs, shoes, or feet. I won’t miss the spontaneous marriage proposals on the street (I don’t care how many goats you think I’m worth, I said I wanted camels) or not being allowed out after dark. But I am going to miss Kenya. The people, the weather, the atmosphere, I will miss it.  

But every Kenyan I have told that I am leaving soon has simply shaken their heads and said “You’ll be back.” Maybe they’re right. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment