Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Death and Ugali


There was a fuel fire in a Nairobi slum yesterday. It was on the complete other side of the city from where I am. The oil flowed into the Nairobi River. Last I had heard they had recovered 86 bodies, many too charred to recognize. The pipe from which the spill started was 30 years past its replacement date. The government blame the people for not heading their warning to move, while the people blame the government for not caring enough to replace the pipe or providing an option other than the slum.

This isn’t so unheard of here. My family explained that whenever there is a spill, people run to collect the fuel. Some use it to heat their homes, some use it for cooking, and some sell it for profit. Regardless, it is a tragic event. Without knowing about the spill, my homestay sister Maggie had applied for a job helping to clean the Nairobi River. She is going to have her hands full the next few weeks. If you want a local paper to read about the spill, go to Daily Nation, Kenya. http://www.nation.co.ke/

The news has been depressing as of late. Last night they reported that 11 people had died from poisoned changaa, a type of alcohol. Changaa is made from maize, but dealers buy it and add water and chemicals like formaldehyde to thin it out but keep it potent.  Just sad really.

In less worldly news, my mom gave me a Luo name. I’m Akini, because I was born in the morning. Lots of students get names, but I like mine. Luo is my family’s tribe. They told me Luos invented ugali, and I’ll believe it just based on how easily my mom stirs the sticky flour and water mixture. She also eats ugali at every meal.
Ugali. Looks like potatoes. 


On Sunday I took my little sister and her friend to Luna Park in the Westlands of Nairobi. It is the only amusement park I have been to that has both rides and a prayer room. It was 50 shillings per ride, about 50 cents. The banana ride was the destiantion. Basically, it’s a car shaped like a banana that swings upside down. You can sit for hours and watch people lose their phones, hijabs, wallets, and composure as it does 4 full rotations. Forget those straps that go over your head though. All there is is a bar that goes across your lap, so you leave with bruises on your legs, but escape with your life. It was awesome.

We’re going to Carolina for Kibera on Friday, which I am so excited about. For those who have read “On the Way to War”, you know why. Then that night we leave for the Shirazi village for ten days. I’ll write about when I get back. Expect pictures. 

No comments:

Post a Comment